The UM Board of Curators is coordinating a discussion and evaluation of alternative organizational structures for the University of 亚洲影院 System. The goal of the discussion is to determine strategies that will sustain and strengthen academic and research quality, leverage the individual missions of each institution and enhance administrative cost effectiveness, among other considerations.
Board of Curators Principles to Guide the Evaluation and Needs for a UM System Administrative Structure
- Enhance the ability to serve the State of 亚洲影院 and its citizens, the primary stakeholders of the UM System.
- Create effective System leadership combined with effective, agile institutional leadership while maintaining clear delineations of executive responsibility and authority at both the System and university level.
- While recognizing that clear executive authority is vested in the President, the Curators will be supportive of the work of the chancellors and knowledgeable of student and faculty profiles, programs, research capacity, public services, and other notable aspects of each UM institution.
- Communicate that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts鈥攖hat a synergy exists among UM System universities鈥攖hat they complement each other鈥檚 strengths and can accomplish greater things by working together than by working in isolation.
- Maintain student access and affordability during a time of decreasing government support.
- Ensure that all students receive a quality education that is characterized by a safe and secure learning environment, intellectual rigor, and respect of differing views and opinions, and evidenced in the academic performance of students and the success of graduates.
- Ensure that faculty and students are provided with the resources and support to achieve excellence in extramural research and innovative scholarship.
- Increase racial and ethnic diversity and intellectual pluralism among our students, faculty and staff at our four universities.
- Seek a cost-effective and quality 21st Century University System that embraces new technologies to deliver widely available education programs and enhanced administrative services efficiently.
- The University Task Force on Governance clarified governance relationships among the Curators, the president and chancellors and collaboration across the UM System's four universities.
- The Board UM System President Mun Choi to serve as interim chancellor at MU.
June - July 2020
- The Board of Curators facilitated more than 25 discussions with constituent groups systemwide in early June and will continued to meet with groups into July regarding the system's organizational structure. The constituent groups included more than 300 constituents including听faculty, staff, students and trustees at each of the four universities as well as community leaders and legislative representatives across 亚洲影院.
- AGB presented a report for the Board of Curators and administration regarding structural options, including economic and other factors relating to restructuring; trends among higher education systems across the country, the advantages and disadvantages of six structural models and more. The report is intended to support Curator deliberations on options for restructuring and does not offer specific recommendations. Access the June Board of Curators meeting video to listen to the presentation and conversation or .
- The Board provided to the university community regarding Board deliberations and next steps.
- An was sent to the university community.
- The Board held a and voted to approve a structural model at that time. Access the resolution or the for additional information.
- Board Resolution revised and approved by the Board of Curators on September 24, 2020.
- Council of Chancellors Report and Administrative Efficiencies Report submitted to the Board of Curators.
- President Choi provided an update to faculty, staff and students about the reports and ways to provide feedback by Nov. 27 either to faculty, staff and student government leaders or directly to the chancellors.听
November - December 2020
- Following the Nov. 19听Board meeting, the Council of Chancellors received and reviewed feedback from nearly 20 email submissions. They discussed and incorporated the input into the reports. Updated versions of the Council of Chancellors Report and Administrative Efficiencies Report were voted on during a Board of Curators Special Meeting on Dec. 6, 2020. Note: changes made based on the input are highlighted in yellow.听
- The Board of Curators approved final versions of the Council of Chancellors and Administrative Efficiencies reports on Sunday, Dec. 6 during a Special Meeting.听
For questions or additional information, reach out via email at email@example.com.